Search This Blog

Sunday, February 10, 2008

Apache2 + E_TOOMANYMODULES

Today I'm in the process of putting some updates on one of my root servers. I'm already used to doing most things by hand, as I want real version upgrades and not just security fixes. Doing a complete distribution upgrade is too much work when doing remotely and doesn't stand to reason.

So I started happily, downloaded everything I'm going to need and started compiling. The small bits and pieces went well (BerkeleyDB and other libraries), but with Apache2 I noticed for the first time consciously how many module names have changed, and how many things have been broken into separate pieces. Yet the configure script is still the same old one with "--enable-this" and "--disable-that". So to get everything in shape, I'll have to work my way through every little thing I need or don't. That's annyoing, dear Apache-folks!

I do hope that there's going to be something better soon. The number of apache-packages (be it .deb, .rpm or win32 installers) with missing or incomplete features shows that I'm not the only one who has a hard time keeping every little module needed in mind.

No comments: